Saturday, May 26, 2012

For Memorial Day

Hat tip to Sam Huntington:


Memorial Day is a special one for me. I am a veteran of the Vietnam Era although I was stationed stateside.

In 1968, I lost one of my best friends in the Vietnam War. We went way back as friends -- all the way to our days in 6th grade.

Danny (enlisted in the USMC) was about 20 years old and engaged at the time of his death.

Danny and I used to run a bicycle repair shop together in Southern California; his father co-signed the loan for the building for us.

I was drafted about 2 years after Danny died.

I need to go to the Vietnam War Memorial and look up Danny's name.
I hope to go to my local VFW this weekend. It's hard for Mrs. AOW to manage getting me out and about, especially to downtown D.C. But I think that she may be able to take me to the VFW for Memorial Day. I'm sad that none of the VFW guys have offered to take me. Not many friends stick around when you're as disabled as I am.

2 comments:

Woodsterman (Odie) said...

You'll see my similar story at Woodsterman on Monday.

Brooke said...

God bless you and Mrs. AOW!

I hope this Memorial day isn't all BBQ, but also remembering those that gave all, as your friend did.