Thursday, January 24, 2013

Therapy breakthrough!

The past few weeks, my occupational therapist tried a new electronic device to stimulate the return of some function in my left arm, which has been completely useless since the stroke I had on September 15, 2009.

I am now going to therapy three days a week!

I will be on this therapy schedule through the month of February.

 We don't know how much use of my arm will come back.  But at least the effort is being made!  And I have an excellent OT.  Cute, too!

Addendum from AOW: THIS WEB SITE gives information about the device that is bringing about a breakthrough for Mr. AOW's stroke recovery.  Amazing robotics!  This training device taps the brain's capacity for neuroplasticity.

Meanwhile, I have graduated to eating in the kitchen instead of from the hospital table next to my bed.




Mrs. AOW and I are relieved that I can eat at a table instead of her having to tote all my meals and snacks from the kitchen into the living room, where my hospital bed is.



Stroke recovery is a long, hard road.

12 comments:

Unknown said...

I pray God grants you recovery of your arm.
Still hope is eternal and keeps us going.
Nice to hear you can eat together in the kitchen again.

Ducky's here said...

God bless you and Mrs. AOW.

It's been slow but think of the progress.

Maggie@MaggiesNotebook said...

I know it must be wonderful for you to share a table with Mrs. AOW again. We often forget how precious the things are we take most for granted.

I'll pray for your little bot, that it just works like crazy and makes a wonderful difference in your life.

Always On Watch said...

Will,
Our kitchen isn't exactly set up for the two of us to eat together. Still, we often make the set up work. After over three years not being able to sit together for meals here at home, both Mr. AOW and I are reveling in a return to normal. The very fact that Mr. AOW can WALK into the kitchen -- with the aid of a hemi walker, but at least not in a wheelchair -- has lifted up our spirits.

Always On Watch said...

Maggie,
Nobody is expecting full return of the affected arm. The stroke "started" in Mr. AOW's hand and arm -- his left hand and arm, and he's left-handed.

But every little bit helps. If he can get some return of his upper arm, he might be able to use a regular walker and more easily climb stairs with railings.

Always On Watch said...

Duck,
Well, there you are -- saying something nice to Mr. AOW and me. I genuinely appreciate your words.

I have put a good face on what's transpired here in the AOW household; I've omitted telling about some really ugly aspects of the life we had from September 2009 through December 2010. After all, there's no point in whine, whine whine.

think of the progress

You're right. The progress has been incredible. As recently as July 2012, life here was ugly beyond description. I cried myself to sleep on a regular basis, and Mr. AOW sank into periods of depression.

But the new therapists that we found in August 2012 have facilitated nothing short of miracles. The OT from the UK is nothing short of outstanding -- probably as a result of her having worked with the NHS, where recovery therapy is state of the art. Yes, yes, I bitch about socialized medicine; but I have seen for myself one of the benefits of the NHS therapy methods. None of the American therapists have even come close to her skill.

Mr. AOW said...

Duck,
Thank you.

I know that you and AOW argue a lot. But you have always been decent to ME!

Mr. AOW said...

Will and Maggie,
I am determined to get even better!

Ducky's here said...

Actually, Mr. AOW, I admire you both for your perseverance.

Mrs. AOW and I get on quite well if we avoid politics.

Always On Watch said...

Duck,
It would have been a lot easier just to give up -- that is, divorce and leave Mr. AOW in the nursing home.

But in such a case, Mr. AOW wouldn't have recovered as much as he has.

Brooke said...

I admire both or you. Your hard work and love for one another!

Good luck with the therapy!

Woodsterman (Odie) said...

Mr. Dude, you are a trooper! And Mrs Dudette is quite a Lady. Pat that nurse for me.